Thursday, April 19, 2007

Seriously, I am not trying to sabatoge myself!


If you were to walk into my house right now, you may think I have just thrown my diet out the window as there are the most wonderful smells emanating from my kitchen. In fact, I am making one of my all-time favorites: Carmelitas. But, even though these are oh-so-tasty, these puppies are headed for the Forest Lakes District Conference being held at Hope Community Church this weekend. Pastors and members of their congregations from our district will be headed to our church this weekend and we are trying to feed them all. I figured a little bit of sinfulness wouldn't hurt them!

Here's the recipe for those of you interested. It's super simple:

2 cups quick oats
1.5 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed firm
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 jar (12 oz.) caramel ice cream topping
1/4 cup flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts or peanuts

Preheat oven to 350. Combine oast, flour, brown sugar and baking soda. Add melted butter and mix until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of the crumble mixture and set aside. Press the rest of the crumble mixture in the bottom of a 9"x13" pan. Bake for 15 minutes. While the crust is baking, combine the flour and caramel topping. Remove the crust from oven and pour caramel mixture over the top. Use a spatula to spread it out if necessary. Top caramel with nuts, followed by chocolate chips. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of crumble mixture on top of everything else and return the pan to the oven for another 15-18 minutes. Remove when gold and bubbly. Cool completely. Makes about 24 decent size bars, but I usually cut them smaller because they are really rich.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

scrapper al said...

This looks terribly decadant and yummy!