Friday, March 30, 2007

Things I Wish I Knew

I've been brainstorming for a layout that I am going to be trying to complete for my Book of Me regarding things I wish I knew. I've been procrastinating this layout because I honestly have not been able to accurately put my finger on one or a few things I wish I would have known, but now I know.

I wish I would have known how difficult it would be to "punish" my child. This week has been a particularly difficult one for Ian at school. Yesterday, it was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and we had no choice but to strip him of all of his privileges and ground him. The thing is, I believe he is truly sorry for what he did and he realizes the steps he could have taken to prevent it (all going back to a lack of self-control). What hurts the most is I could see in his eyes the sorrow that he had disappointed us and that is what hurt me the most about punishing him. However, I need to be a strong parent and hold my ground on this one. At the same time, it hurts me ten times worse than I think it is hurting him. I know it only make it "sink in" but to me, I just never realized how hard it would be to go through this. It makes me want to call my mom and tell her how sorry I am for all the stupid things I did when I was young that caused me to get in trouble. I can appreciate now how much I made them hurt.

It also makes me appreciate God's grace all the more. I do a lot of things that are hurtful to God, but He forgives me through his son, Jesus. I can only go on and try to do better and please Him.

So, this next week will be a quiet one at our house - no video games, no television, no gaggle of boys running amock. Perhaps both he (and I) will learn a valuable lesson.

No comments: