Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I am glad I am not the only one!

In a scene reminiscent of one of my worst childhood memories, Ian came home with the dreaded "story problem" math homework last night. What was worse about this homework was that he had the "numbers" but he had to create the story problem to go with it.

I have never liked math. In fact, even though I preferred science when I was in high school, I didn't pursue it in college because I knew it would require taking at least 2 semesters of calculus and I thought, "Why subject myself to that misery when I can major in French and travel to Europe?" Alas, I have hit another tangent . . . back to the story.

Ian is very gifted when it comes to math but this exercise through him for a loop. What's worse is that I don't "get" how they are teaching math in schools these days. Words that I remember being taught are no longer part of the vocabulary and there are so many diagrams and charts to fill in, it does get confusing. Shouldn't the creators of this curriculum remember who is going to be helping their children at home with it?

So, after a very painful 60 minutes, Ian did manage to "complete" his story problem homework. Hopefully (though I know I am probably wrong), there won't be any more for a while. My poor brain is beat!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hon, if you ever need help...you know who to call!

Becca L. said...

Hah! Yes, you are my on-call math geek!

Bookmom said...

Just popping by for the party (late)!
I have had a couple of video posts on math in schools lately. And you know, I've had the same thoughts about pictures on diapers!

My blog is womanwithmanyhats.com (not my blank Blogger one). I have festive exploding bubbles; please stop by!