Saturday, February 2, 2008

I hope I can do that one day!

Monday through Friday, I wake up at an obscene hour (5:00 a.m.) to haul myself to the Y for some exercise. There are many days where it's just all too appealing to stay beneath the warm covers and sleep in, but I know that if I don't go, I'll end up sleeping in more than I end up working out so I press on.

Anyhow, every morning there is a group of "senior" women who arrive at the Y before I get there and are swimming laps. They then take their coffee in the women's lounge afterward and swap stories about days gone by. It's really fascinating to hear them talk.

Yesterday as I was leaving, one of these ladies was getting ready to go out to her car but it was slick so I offered to help her to her car. She was very appreciative and in the short walk to the car she told me how she had also shoveled her walks that morning. I only hope that one day when I am her age I have the wearwithall and ambition to not only get up and shovel 4 inches of snow BEFORE coming to the gym and exercising at 5:00 a.m.! Truly inspiring!

No comments: