Friday, February 1, 2008

Finally! The Perfect Sugar Cookie Recipe!!!

I am the type of baker that if you put a sugar cookie recipe in front of me, I will try it because I have yet to find one that meets my picky standards. I think I've been spoiled by receiving one too many Cookies By Design bouquets in my lifetime. How are their cookies so moist and thick anyway?

Ok, back to my original point (I do actually have one). Any sugar cookie recipes I have tried just seem to end up too crispy or the dough doesn't roll out smoothly. So, I stay on my quest.

Now, prior to Ian's birthday, he asked me to make frosted sugar cookies for his classroom treat. It just so happened that sugar cookie "lollipops" were featured on the cover of this month's issue of Woman's Day magazine. So, I gave their recipe a whirl - and by golly! IT WORKS!!!

So, without further adieu:

SUPER AWESOME SUGAR COOKIES (my name, not theirs)

1 stick butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1-3/4 c flour

Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg until blended; add vanilla, baking powder and salt. Gradually add flour and beat until just smooth. Shape dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Heat oven to 350. Roll out dough to 3/8-inch thickness. Cut out with cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to non-stick baking sheets (I used Pampered Chef Rectangle Stone). Bake 12-14 minutes until cookies are golden brown at edges. Cool on sheet about 5 minutes; transfer to cooing rack and cool completely. Roll, cut and bake remaining cookies.

MY NOTES: I really think beating the butter and sugar for 3 minutes makes a huge difference. Also, I used really big cookie cutters so I only got about 8-12 cookies per batch so you may want to double the recipe if you need more. I used a buttercream frosting recipe that I am not totally "sold" on yet so the quest for the perfect sugar cookie icing still continues on!

1 comment:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Sounds great! I'll have to try them out because I agree -- I don't like crispy sugar cookies.