Saturday, February 17, 2007

Mario versus Mozart

Today I was downstairs with Ian, Kyra and Rich and we set up the Donkey Konga game for the Nintendo gamecube. I am definitely NOT the most gifted when it comes to videogames; however, this is a fun little game. Instead of a controller, you use bongos and pay attention to the signals on the screen whether to hit left, right, both or clap. The music is fun too - it has some current stuff, some eighties music (think Devo - "Whip It"), Nintedo Music (theme from Mario Brothers, Pokemon, etc.) and it even throws in a couple of classical pieces.

As my turn comes up, Mozart's Turkish Waltz comes on. Ian says "Oh, it's a song from Mario Dance Dance Revolution." I tell him it's a classical piece by Mozart and he just looks at me and says, "yeah, but it's by Nintendo, Mommy!"

So, as much as I appreciate the fact that Nintendo incorporates some music appreciation into their videogames, I wish my son actually knew the composer rather than what videogame it is associated with. One of these days he will. Until then, he will continue to think an Italian plumber with incredible leaping ability also knows how to write a decent song!

1 comment:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

This reminds me of when one of my nephews was very little and they were having a kids sermon at church. They were trying to see who knew things about Passover. He knew all kinds of answers, and people were telling my sister they were very impressed with his Biblical knowledge. She didn't say anything, but apparently he had learned it all on the Rugrats Passover special. LOL