Thursday, June 7, 2007

Slow Cooker Thursday - Hobo Meatball Stew



HOBO MEATBALL STEW

My picky 8 year old eats this (including the veggies)!

1 pound ground beef (or turkey would probably work)
1-1/2 tsp of seasoning salt (divided)
1/2 tsp pepper (divided)
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
1 large onion, cut into chunks
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1-1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp dried basil

In a bowl, combine beef, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; mix well. Shape into 1" balls. In a skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs on all sides; drain. Place potatoes, carrots and onion in slow cooker; top with meatballs. Combine the ketchup, water vinegar, basil and remaining salt and pepper. Pour over meatballs. Cook on high in slow cooker 4-5 hours.

(I think the next time I make this I would double the meat mixture because there seemed to be way more veggies leftover than meat. I might also try to make it with store brand frozen meatballs)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow--that's aying something when an 8 year old will eat soup (you're probably just an awesome mom :)) but I will be trying this one. I'll let you know how it goes placing it in front of the kids. Have a great day.

Renee said...

Mmmm...this recipe sounds tasty! We'll be trying this one! Have a great day.

Betsy said...

My family might actually like this one! :)

Kimberly said...

Yay, a new way to do meatballs! :)

Sandra said...

This sounds really good, I think my 8 year old might actually enjoy it ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Mari said...

My youngest is 18 but I bet he would like this. I'll be trying it. Thanks for posting