Friday, January 23, 2009

She's been cut off!

It's been a battle royale here. Not since the transition from the bottle to the sippy cup have there been more tears shed in our house than as today. We have been "negotiating" (for lack of a better word) with Kyra to give up her nuk. She only uses it at bed and nap times, but it is the be-all-end-all of securities for her. It pained me to take it away from her, but I know she's getting too old for it and we had to do something.

Well, I decided that today was "D-Day". While Kyra was watching her pre-nap movie, I went upstairs and snipped the tiny top part of her beloved nuk and placed it back in its normal "safe spot." When we went up for naptime, I heard, "oh no! It's broken!" Immediately, there was a flooding of tears and pleas to fix the broken nuk. It really did break my heart to see her in such anguish, but I took a deep breath and summoned all of my inner-mommy strength and held my ground for I knew the situation would only be temporary.

There was really a sweet moment when she wanted to see Ian and she looked at him and broke down when she told him her nuk was broken. Ian got right down on her level and assured her that it would be o.k. and that he used to have a nuk too, but he lost all of his and he was still happy. I think that clicked with her on some level.

After calming her down, tying the nuk around CareBear's neck with a green ribbon, changing the pillow case and putting on some music, I closed the door and she has been quiet ever since. We are definitely going to be celebrating this victory in this house!

4 comments:

Jess said...

way to resist the cuteness and tears!!! i am super proud of you becca :) you rock!

Margie said...

Aww, Ian is so sweet.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I hope things are still going well today! Congrats on the no nuk!

scrapper al said...

They're going through this at my BIL's. Not a pretty sight. Congrats to your family for making the transition.